Tongues is The WEAPON of Our Warfare
For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. 2 Co 10:4
Lets take a closer look at what this scripture really says.
This is what the weapons of our warfare does: by definition (Strong’s Concordance)
-to take down – with the use of force: to throw down, cast down
to pull down, demolish a) the subtle reasoning’s (of opponents) likened to a fortress, i.e. to refute, to destroy
- a reckoning, computation
a reasoning: such as is hostile to the Christian faith
a judgment, decision: such as conscience passes
–A thing elevated, height ( Principalities, powers and mights are levels of demons that are in heavenly places that try to influence our thought and are strong holds)
a) of space
b) elevated structure i.e. barrier
bring into captivity
to lead away captive
metaph. to capture ones mind, captivate
Thought a mental perception,
2) an evil purpose
3) that which thinks, the mind, thoughts or purposes
And (YOU) have in readiness
1) a prepare ready
a) of things
2) ready at hand
3) opportune, seasonable
b) of persons
4) ready prepared
a) to do something
b) to receive one coming
- 1) to vindicate one’s right, do one justice
a) to protect, defend, one person from another
2) to avenge a thing a) to punish a person for a thing
- obedience, compliance, submission
What are the weapons, The list is in Eph 6:10-20
WHAT is the weapons of our warfare?
All of the armor of God is a tool to protect you from the enemy but only the SWORD of the SPIRIT is a OFFENCEVE weapon.
The sword of the Spirit is “the word of God -praying in the Spirit” Eph 6:17-18
When we pray in tongues we are praying “IN THE SPIRIT” we are not praying in our own understanding or by our flesh, but supernaturally in the Spirit! We are praying God’s perfect will.
Our job is to take every thought that does not agree with what Jesus did for us on the cross and bring it into the obedience of the accomplished work or the cross. We do this by spending time praying in the Spirit and study the accomplished work of the cross. When we understand WHAT Jesus did we will begin to walk in it. We can only have FAITH in what we have revelations knowledge in. Rom 12 :2 says: And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what [is] that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
WHAT Happened when the Holy Spirit came? Acts 2:1
When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, … suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them DIVIDED TONGUES, as of fire, and [one] sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to SPEAK with other TONGUES, as the SPIRIT gave them utterance.
PLEASE NOTE IN THE ABOVE SCRIPTURE- the discription of what happened. “appeared to them TONGUES” what looked like tongues, part of your mouth the part that SPEAKS, your tongue. The Holy Spirit is about speaking God’s word and then He does it! SPEAK-TONGUES-SPEAKING-TONGUES.Get it! What I am saying is that how the Holy Spirit appeared is FIRE that looked like TONGUES they began to SPEAK in TONGUES by the Spirit!!
The promise of TONGUES is for YOU look at the scripture below.
Acts 2:39 THE PROMISE is to
To you (present day people talking with Jesus 2,000 years ago)
To your children ( their children)
To all far off (YOU)
All that are called (YOU)
How do we know we have the Holy Spirit?
Acts 10:44 the Holy Spirit fell… they HEARD them speaking in tongues. THIS IS BIG- the only way they knew they were filled with the Holy Spirit (can’t see Him, He is a Spirit) is they heard them speaking in tongues.
Tongues is a MAJOR tool that the Holy Spirit empowers us to communicate with God.
TONGUES gives us directions and victory in every part of our life.
Tongues gives us revelations knowledge.
How do you know you have the Holy SPIRIT?
What signs accompany the baptism or out pouring of the Holy Spirit?
How did the New Testament saint KNOW they had the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit and tongues is what brings us victory. Photo 3rd Day ~Photizo copyright 2012
Tongues is a much fought over controversy because it makes the difference between a life or death in every part of your life! Here is a great way of looking at it. WHY would someone try to convince someone else that tongues is no longer for today or tongues is only for some people.
1. If someone teaches you tongues is no longer for today then you would not expect it or search for it. You have to receive tongues by faith, you have to open your mouth and speak words. It is all done by faith. If you have not been showed the scripture that validates receiving the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues they you will condemn it or teach it’s not for today. You have to get out of your denominational teaching and ask the Holy Spirit to teach you the truth about what Jesus blood paid for you to have.
2. If someone teaches you tongues is no longer available then the people who speak in tongues would be discredited. They would say it is of the devil. Why would such a powerful tool be discredited? The devil knows once you speak in tongue, revelation pours out to you and you begin to walk in power, authority and victory. The devil knows that when you pray in tongues you are praying God’s PERFECT will. Just think if tongues were of the devil every person in the bars would be speaking in tongues! Have you ever heard some unsaved person in the bar speaking in tongues?
3. If someone teaches that tongues is NOT for today, most likely it is because THEY have NOT received it and they need an answer for why they do not have it. The reason they don’t have it is most likely they heard a teaching that said it wasn’t for today in their denominations and that teaching rooted in their spirit. They need to put aside all religious glasses and seek God on tongues.
On a side note here: tongues and the Holy Spirit upset mans agenda and takes man out of control and people are uncomfortable with that. Teachers & Preachers are afraid of scaring people off or losing numbers in their churches so they compromise on sharing about it. This breaks my heart because the congregations might look big but the people keep having the same problems over and over. No one walks in victory because they aren’t taught how to use the gift of tongues to be empowered. One other thing about not teaching or learning about tongues being for everyone born again is you are ripping off Jesus. He paid for us to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit. My 3rd book is all about the New Covenant leading of the Holy Spirit so this is something I am passionate about and have revelation knowledge in.
4. I want to point out about speaking in tongues when Paul talks about it in the book of Acts where only “some speak in tongues” he is talking about IN CHURCH NOT in your personal private life. To avoid confusions he says that SOME will speak in tongues in church not everyone.Some people have the “gift of Tongues” in CHURCH they speak and someone else has the “gift of interpreting” it in church. Everyone saved can and should pray in tongues in their prayer language, especially when they dont know WHAT to pray the Holy Spirit will pray for us, that is why we need to pray in tongues before we pray out loud for someone.
5. The last thing I want to point out is the truth in this scripture. 1 Cor 13 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is KNOWLEDGE, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. WELL if you think that tongues HAS ceased because the perfect has come you are wrong because then also KNOWLEDGE has to cease! They are all in the same sentence. It is saying when Jesus returns (the perfect has come, we are changed into the same type body as His) THEN the perfect has come and when it does all then all the tools He has given us to make us perfect will cease because we will be perfect and complete.
Here I explain PERFECT from the Strong definition of the original Greek word.
a. perfect=brought to its end, finished, wanting nothing necessary to completeness, full grown, adult, of full age, mature
Now onto today’s scriptures
Peter explained what happened as he preached the word to the Gentiles.
Acts 15:8-9 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by GIVING them the Holy Spirit, just as [He did] to us, ”and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Peter was explaining WHAT HE PREACHED
Acts 10:34-38 Then Peter opened [his] mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. ”But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. ”The word which [God] sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ–He is Lord of all–”… ”how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly, … ”And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God [to be] Judge of the living and the dead. ”To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”
Acts 10:44-46 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they HEARD them speak with TONGUES and magnify God. Then Peter answered, ”Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we [have]?”
Now take a look at HOW Peter explained what happened to the other disciples.
Acts 11:15-17 “And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. ”Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ ”If therefore God gave them the same gift as [He gave] us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?”
Looking to the above scripture it say the Holy Spirit fell on them just like us AT THE BEGINING! That account you can read below.Notice in the above scripture He calls it “BAPTIZED with the Holy Spirit” If you look at the top scripture Acts 10:44-46 HOW did they KNOW they were filled with the Holy Spirit, because they HEARD them speaking in tongues. Here you have 2 different groups of people doing the same thing speaking in tongues. Now if it is only for “some” people it would not have been groups.
Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.