One of the biggest puzzles of Christianity for me is WHY do a lot of Christian think God wants them poor? I just can’t understand the logic of it. When even statics show that poverty is the number one reason for crime!
For this purpose the Son of God was manifested that He might destroy the works of the devil. Poverty is a work of the devil. Look at this next scripture it points out that the work of the devil is causing people to be poor and Jesus came to destroy its WORK!
The Spirit of the LORD [is] upon Me, because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel (good news) to [the] poor…,Jesus came to destroy Poverty! (1 John 3:8)
For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, Now I will arise,” says the LORD; “I will set [him] in the safety for which he yearns.” (Ps 12:5)
In the next couple scriptures, you can see that it is justice we are to deliver the poor.
- Defend the poor and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and needy (Ps 82:3)
- Deliver the poor and needy; Free [them] from the hand of the wicked. (Ps 83:4)
- I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted,
- [And] justice for the poor. (Ps 140:12)
- He will judge Your people with righteousness, And Your poor with justice. (Ps 72:2)
- He will bring justice to the poor of the people; He will save the children of the needy, And will break in pieces the oppressor (Ps 72:4)
- For He will deliver the needy when he cries, The poor also, and [him] who has no helper. (Ps 72:12)
Listen to these scriptures on being poor and see if you can see how God hates poverty.
- The destruction of the poor [is] their poverty. (Prov 15:10)
- The poor [man] is hated even by his own neighbor,
- But the rich [has] many friends. (Prov 14:20)
- Wealth makes many friends,
- But the poor is separated from his friend. (Prov 19:4)
- All the brothers of the poor hate him; How much more do his friends go far from him! He may pursue [them with] words,[yet] they abandon [him.] (Prov 19:7)
- The rich rules over the poor,
- And the borrower [is] servant to the lender. (Prov 23:7)
- [Like] a roaring lion and a charging bear [Is] a wicked ruler over poor people. (Prov 28:15)*
- …the poor man’s wisdom [is] despised, And his words are not heard. (Ecc 9:16)
Excerpts from “The Joy of Kingdom Driven Living” by Robin Bremer